Host Gator

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Cutting Costs - Round 2 - Austerity measures




In the last round I stopped buying plastic cups/utensils and paper plates, and drastically cut back on my purchase of UFC pay per views. So far I have kept with these resolutions, having not bought any PPVs or utensils/plates.

Now on to round 2. I have a couple more adjustments I am going to make for the month of February, and of course continuing with the previous cuts.

1. Eat out no more than 2 times the entire month. This includes fast food, anything.

2. Spend $50 less on groceries. I have been eating very clean lately, but I spent too much last month. Fresh fruits and veggies are expensive, so I am going to stick with the cheaper versions and spend at elast $50 less this month on groceries.

3.  Switch to biweekly mortgage payments: I haven't finished researching the refinance yet, which is a carryover from last month. But regardless I am going to switch to biweekly payments. Every 2 weeks, not necessarily twice a month. That will add a 13th payment every year. Depending on how the interest is calculated, it could save on that too, with or without the extra payment.





That's all for now. It may not seem like much all at once, but if I can do 2 or 3 things like this every month and keep them up, that will snowball into a significant monthly savings by the end of a year or two. And it won't be as much of a shock as trying to enact all these 'austerity measures' all at once.


-The Money Monk

No comments:

Post a Comment